[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

Bob Krzaczek krz at cis.rit.edu
Wed Nov 8 18:47:41 CST 2000

Thus spake The Archimage:
; > Why not argue that you want cheaper RAM kits -
; > $1500 for 128 Meg of RAM is too much?
; Absolutely.  The technology that is used for memory - whether Sun
; branded or not - is simply NOT that costly.  Sun charges for the
; label.  Period.
;[ ... ]

Umm, no.

The 64Mb SIMMs for the Sparcbook 3xx series are not commonly
available, they aren't as cheap as you might expect, and they're not
even from Sun.  Labeling (or branding) has nothing to do with it.

They're wired differently to accomodate the memory architecture of the
Sparcbook, which doesn't deal with individual memories larger than
32Mb.  Their price is not a matter of technology, it's a matter of
manufacturing.  It costs a bundle to ramp up production of a custom
SIMM (or any board for that matter), and unless you crank out tons of
them, the per-unit price will reflect that... and there just aren't
tons of Sparcbooks in the world.

Sure, I'd like to see a cheaper memory upgrade kit for my Sparcbook.
But, unless someone shows me a way to use more than 2 32Mb commodity
SIMMs on it, or shares the schematic for the special 64Mb SIMMs, what
I'd like and what I get will remain two different things.  That's the
nature of the market.

// boba

--
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <boba at cis.rit.edu>