[SPARCbook] passwd cracking

The Archimage sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 8 17:23:15 CST 2000

Ken Hansen wrote:

> This laptop is not part of the "PC Market," and comparisons between the two
> are fairly pointless, IMHO.

Granted.  I don't mean to indicate *at all* that I don't appreciate how
awesome these little laptops are...

> Why not argue that you want cheaper RAM kits -
> $1500 for 128 Meg of RAM is too much?

Absolutely.  The technology that is used for memory - whether Sun
branded or not - is simply NOT that costly.  Sun charges for the label.
Period.

> Yeah, and what about those battery
> prices? Hey, why are the AC adapters so expensive? And of course, don't get
> me started on HD prices!

LOL!

> Really, what is the reason you *need* Solaris 7 on your SPARCbook? What
> isn't available for Solaris 2.6 that  is only available for Solaris 7?

I agree, 2.6 works beautifully for me.  As I said, I got the SparcBook
strictly for the  It's a "principal" thing...  I just don't think that
it's right to charge for the packages necessary to keep my system up to
date.  I'm sure that somewhere out there there is a legit need for
someone to use Solaris 2.7 on a SparcBook.  Not me, granted, I got this
thing for the geek factor only.  But even Sun will sell you Solaris 8
for cheap for development/academic purposes.

> Ken
>
> (When your Optiplex was built, it was only sold *with* a special Microsoft
> license for WinNT/9X, BTW)

Yeah, yeah, I know.  But that is actually due to Micro$oft's
arm-twisting.  And the DOJ let Billy-boy know what it thought of that...