[SPARCbook] 128MB memory kit update

Bob Krzaczek boba at cis.rit.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:04:55 CST 2000

>From the you-win-some-you-lose-some department:

I recently got approval from my employer to purchase a 128MB kit for my
3GX.  However, those special 64MB SIMMs are no longer available from
either Tadpole-RDI nor Centon Electronics.  Argh.

Looks like we lose; a 64MB 3G machine is all we can upgrade to.

(Unless... it occurs to me that there was talk of a special, factory
installed 256MB option for the 3G series. That implies to me some memory
connections inside the laptop itself.  To keep production costs down,
you'd want to use whatever you already had; so if you already had these
special 64MB SIMMs, just adding two more slots inside the machine would
yield 256MB. I wonder if there are some unsoldered/unsocketed pinouts on
the 3G motherboard? Scott Yelich, I can't tell in your jpegs if this is
the case or not; do you recall seeing anything like this when you had your
Sparcbook apart?)

// bob

--
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <krz at cis.rit.edu>