[SPARCbook] PCMCIA hds, PCFS, network, IDE

Rainer Canavan canavan at triton.informatik.uni-bonn.de
Thu Mar 30 04:45:16 CST 2000

[...]

> > I can always yank the 6.4 Gig drive and swap in a 12 Gig or greater
> > drive if needed, but really, will I need more? I can get a nice dual
> > OS system running with 6.4 Gig of HD, but YMMV...
> >
> > Ken
>
> I was under the impression that there was an 8 or 9 GB limit on drive size
> with the IDE-SCSI adapters.  Is this fixed in the new version of them, or
> am I mistaken?  I was lucky enough to get a 2 GB tadpole drive with an
> adapter, so was able to drop in a 8 or 9 GB IBM IDE drive without trouble.
>
> Mark

We already had that, so you could look it up in the list archives. I think
the old ones (this includes those from the 2G drives) are limited to 8GB,
and are said to be slower than the new ones, which were made after about
december 1999.

The powerbook guy with the 6.4G drives was a bit surprised when I told him
about the bridges from adtx, but I didn't ask him about speed or size
limits. Anyone?

Rainer