[SPARCbook] PCMCIA hds, PCFS, network, IDE

Ken Hansen khansen at pluto.njcc.com
Tue Mar 28 11:51:33 CST 2000

> > >BTW, has anyone bought one of the SCSI-IDE converters from ADTX? I failed
> > >to negotiate an acceptable method of payment, as they don't accept credit
> > >cards...

They are an OEM, not a retailer -they are set up for sales of large
lots of devices, not onesy-twosy sales to US computer end-users.

> > Do they really expect to make a lot of sales?  Christ, even I'm thinking
> > about getting a merchant account through my local bank - and I only do
> > occasional selling.  I've not heard of them, do you have a URL or something?

See above - they expect to make *large* sales, not neccessarily a *lot*
of sales...

> http://www.adtx.co.jp. They were willing to sell me one of these bridges,
> but I couldn't find any local bank that could say any definitive word about
> wire transfers to japan. I still want one of these though, even at the $199
> price point they quoted.

I bought a 6.4 Gig HD from the vendor listed on the FAQ (an IDE drive
with an adapter installed for SCSI) for $429 ready to be dropped into
my SPARCBook - now you can find 6.4 Gig IDE notebook drives for less
than $200, but to simply order and receive the combination was very
nice 8^)

I can always yank the 6.4 Gig drive and swap in a 12 Gig or greater
drive if needed, but really, will I need more? I can get a nice dual
OS system running with 6.4 Gig of HD, but YMMV...

Ken