[SPARCbook] PCFS lockup

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Tue Mar 28 11:58:08 CST 2000

>The main problem was the absence of networking equipment (I didn't have
>tranciever + cable), and the other guy doesn't even have ethernet in his
>notebook. While I'd usually just use smbclient and smbd, scp, or ftp, this
>wasn't an option. Serial cables are pretty slow with the sparcbooks (but I
>haven't yet tried my socket I/O serial card with ppp), but even at
>230400bps, this would be 50 times slower than ethernet _or_ the calluna
>disks.

Hmmm.  Here's another thought, how about a 3Com PCMCIA network card?  If you
can score a couple you should be able to transfer files easily with an
uplink cable.  The 3C589b and 3C589c should be natively supported in both
OSs, making setup a breeze.  I had a 3C589 working in my 3GS once, but
dropped it in favor of the built in ethernet - then lost the AUI drop cable.
Hopefully the replacement will b arriving soon [droooll].

>BTW, has anyone bought one of the SCSI-IDE converters from ADTX? I failed
>to negotiate an acceptable method of payment, as they don't accept credit
>cards...

Do they really expect to make a lot of sales?  Christ, even I'm thinking
about getting a merchant account through my local bank - and I only do
occasional selling.  I've not heard of them, do you have a URL or something?

Kurt