[SPARCbook] PCFS lockup

Rainer Canavan canavan at triton.informatik.uni-bonn.de
Tue Mar 28 08:01:35 CST 2000

> What about Samba?   Or FTP?
>
> I recently sold off all of my external superfloppies and "transportable"
> hard drives because I found myself not using them.  Once you get these
> things on a  network, file copy procedures become a cake walk - instead of
> an excersise in futility.

> However, if you really want to be able to read a unix file system under
> Windows (or DOS for that matter), you'll want to find a good mounting
> routine for Windows.  I recall that I used such a beast to mount a Linux
> drive on my Windows system once, but I can't remember the name.  It was a
> command line program that ran in a DOS window on the desktop.  Run a search
> at Tucows and you'll probably come up with 3 or 4 such things.

I've seen it once, and, afaik, it's linux (e2fs) specific. I didn't even
find a program that reads sun disklabels.

The main problem was the absence of networking equipment (I didn't have
tranciever + cable), and the other guy doesn't even have ethernet in his
notebook. While I'd usually just use smbclient and smbd, scp, or ftp, this
wasn't an option. Serial cables are pretty slow with the sparcbooks (but I
haven't yet tried my socket I/O serial card with ppp), but even at
230400bps, this would be 50 times slower than ethernet _or_ the calluna
disks.

BTW, has anyone bought one of the SCSI-IDE converters from ADTX? I failed
to negotiate an acceptable method of payment, as they don't accept credit
cards...

Rainer