[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

Eric Busto ebusto at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 19 22:22:03 CST 2000

G'day Matt

>Hello.

>    My question is... Are there only 2 SIMM slots available on the 3GX?
>What are the largest SIMMs supported? Basically if someone could give me a
>lowdown on the facts and the fiction (up to the "it works for me but not
>for somebody else"), I'd greatly appreciate it.

There are only two SIMM slots in the sparcbook.  From what I understand,
most people have gotten two 64meg simms working for 128megs total, but
beyond that things get messy.  Input from others with first hand experience
would be appreciated.

>    Also, does anyone here run Linux on their SPARCbook? If so, what is the
>current state of things? I'd like to run Debian.. but I've read from some
>sources that X may not work, or that the PCMCIA stuff is not working
>yet... Any pointers to any central sources for Linux SPARCbook
>information?

AFAIK, Linux will run on the sparcbook, but not too functional.  X, in
theory, should work, as the Weitek frame buffer chip is supposed in XFree
4.0, but whether or not it works well is a different matter.  PCMCIA and the
such are unlikely.  Again, someone with firsthand experience should input.