[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Sun Mar 19 21:23:52 CST 2000

Hello.

   I am both relatively new to the list and a soon-to-be-SPARCbook-3GX
owner. I've done quite a bit of reading into the SPARCbooks prior and up
to my eventual winning bid on Ebay, including Tadpole's White Papers, the
SPARCbook FAQ, Seldom Asked Questions, and even the list's archives. (In
fact, the only place I have not actively checked is both the user and
technical manual for the 3GX off of tadpole's ftp site-- which are
currently sitting on a machine waiting to be downloaded), so I hope my
question isn't too lame.

   What I've seen mentioned is the fact that the 3GX can hold 32, 64, and
128MEGs of RAM... that was out of Tadpole's White Papers... then I see
somewhere in the FAQ (I believe) about 256MEGs... but I also hear reports
of some types/quantity SIMMs not working...

   My question is... Are there only 2 SIMM slots available on the 3GX?
What are the largest SIMMs supported? Basically if someone could give me a
lowdown on the facts and the fiction (up to the "it works for me but not
for somebody else"), I'd greatly appreciate it.

   Also, does anyone here run Linux on their SPARCbook? If so, what is the
current state of things? I'd like to run Debian.. but I've read from some
sources that X may not work, or that the PCMCIA stuff is not working
yet... Any pointers to any central sources for Linux SPARCbook
information?

   Thanks.

      * * *       Atari 8-bit!  Battlestar: Galactica * Descent * SCSI
      * * *      400/800/XL/XE  Star Raiders * Galaga * SPARCstation LX
  *  *  *  *  * 2600/5200/7800  Star Wars * Voltron * Star Trek * Summer
--Linux/SPARC-Debian-2.1--------------!  ! ! L I N U X ! !  !-----2.2.14--