[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

Tyson J. Lambert lambert at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Mar 20 02:07:04 CST 2000

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Eric Busto wrote:

> G'day Matt
>
> >Hello.
>

> >    My question is... Are there only 2 SIMM slots available on the 3GX?
> >What are the largest SIMMs supported? Basically if someone could give me a
> >lowdown on the facts and the fiction (up to the "it works for me but not
> >for somebody else"), I'd greatly appreciate it.
> >

> There are only two SIMM slots in the sparcbook.  From what I understand,
> most people have gotten two 64meg simms working for 128megs total, but
> beyond that things get messy.  Input from others with first hand experience
> would be appreciated.
>
> >    Also, does anyone here run Linux on their SPARCbook? If so, what is the
> >current state of things? I'd like to run Debian.. but I've read from some
> >sources that X may not work, or that the PCMCIA stuff is not working
> >yet... Any pointers to any central sources for Linux SPARCbook
> >information?
> >

> AFAIK, Linux will run on the sparcbook, but not too functional.  X, in
> theory, should work, as the Weitek frame buffer chip is supposed in XFree
> 4.0, but whether or not it works well is a different matter.  PCMCIA and the
> such are unlikely.  Again, someone with firsthand experience should input.

Linux does work on it, but is extremely hard on battery and tends to
overheat the thing.  X does work, sound doesn't, and Afaik, pcmcia doesn't
yet either.  Netbsd works fine and is easier on power/heat (the idler
works)  I'm not sure about the current pcmcia state but I know work is
being done on it. X works fine.

I have 64mb ram in mine that I ordered from www.memoryx.com.  it cost
about $185.  I can find out what they call it if you are interested.

Let me know if I can help in any way

-Tyson (lambert at ecst.csuchico.edu)B