[SPARCbook] FTP Help

Patrick McAleavey patmcaleavey at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:53:44 CDT 2000

Hi All,

Thanks David for checking in on me. Finally solved the problem about 5
minutes ago. To restate the problem: when I would attempt to ftp as root to
my Sparcbook I would receive a login failure after I typed root's password.
I knew the password was correct, I knew the daemon was running, I knew I had
connectivity, and I knew that root's name was not in the ftpuser file (since
the file didn't exist).

After reading the man pages for ftpd for the hundredth time I decided to try
something. The man pages said there are four(4) rules by which in.ftpd
authenticates users. The third rule is what caused my problem. Root's shell
is /sbin/sh but it is not listed in /etc/shells. I edited /etc/shells to
include /sbin/sh and now everything works.

I think maybe the language in the third rule threw me. I read it that if
root's shell was included in /etc/passwd then it should have worked. Well,
live and learn.

Pat

>From: "David Dobrotka" <ddobrotka at boernenet.com>
>To: <sparcbook at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] FTP Help
>Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:30:05 -0500
>
>Did you get an answer to this yet?  If not, what kind of error are you
>getting back from the ftp server?
>
>dave

......... The instructor has to ftp to the Sparcbook from an NT machine. I
have one (1) Sparcbook that will not accept an ftp login although I can
telnet to the unit from a PC..........I have read the ftp and ftpd man pages
but that hasn't helped. I've tried comparing settings with a machine that is
working but nothing is real obvious........