[SPARCbook] Help replacing SparcBook IDE hard drive...

arno uhlmelmahei arno at panix.com
Fri Sep 3 13:14:50 CDT 1999

"William M. Perry" wrote:

e.

> Hmmm.... I think I completely misunderstood how this thing goes together.
> I just assumed that the IBM drive that was in there was just thicker than
          ^^^^
  I believe Felix Unger is attributed to a famous
  quote regarding the above word.

> the (much newer) toshiba drive.  On closer examination it looks like the
> converter actually sits _underneath_ the dirve, and the IDE jumper blocks
> are attached at the _rear_.

   The converter attaches to the top of the
 drive. You will need a 6mm torx wrench and
 a small phillips head screwdriver to remove
 the mounting screws. When I removed the
 drive from the caddy I simply slipped a very
 thin flathead screwdriver into the slots
 on either side of the caddy and twisted each
 one slightly in sequence, a bit at a time. I
 didnt touch the sliding 'door' that locks the
 drive in when its inserted. Once the caddy is
 opened wide enough (an inch or so should do)
 simply slide the whole unit out of the caddy.

     regards,
     arno