[SPARCbook] Re: IRC

Stuart Duncan sety at wn.com.au
Fri Sep 3 16:52:49 CDT 1999

Swift Kick wrote:
--8<--
> AHEM.  #linux, no question. #root, hold a minute.  Being a #root
> regular, I can say that there aren't really any "h4x0r kiddies" there.
> As a matter of fact, they're usually removed fairly quickly from the
> channel, once they show their colors.
> There's a number of very knowledgeable people in #root as well, among
> them Randall Schwartz (author of O'Reilly's Learning Perl, and co-author
> of Programming Perl), Melody Yoon (who you also mentioned), and a few
> others, some of which are also members of this list.
> Being on EFnet for the past 4 or 5 years, I could also say that #unix
> may be a rather 'asinine' channel at times, not necessarily everyone in
> there, but a few select individuals that seem to take the BOFH attitude
> a little too serious.
> I urge you to keep your personal opinions of a particular channel away
> from this list, since it is up to the individual to decide what may suit
> his needs best.
--8<--
*grin*  Looks like I've started a bit of a flame war here.
What are you saing about Linux?  I don't know about the channel Linux,
EfNet's a little difficult to reach from my end of the network, so I
don't normally use it.  But I know that *very wide grin* no other
operating system in the world compares with Linux, so I'd immagine the
people in #Linux would be pretty good aswell.  :P

When I origionally made the "h4X0r" comment, I hadn't taken into account
the fact that I'm on the other side of the world, and the other side of
the clock.  When I go into IRC, it's probably 2-4AM your time, and most
of the older/resourcefull/professional IRC community are in bed.  :)

So, if I've offended any die-hard #Unix members, then I do appologise.
;)

Cheers,
Stuart Duncan.