[SPARCbook] about to upgrade

Paul Phillips paul at partitura.com
Mon Nov 15 19:24:12 CST 1999

Next week it looks like I will be going through the upgrade on my
Sparcbook 3GX to move from Solaris 2.51 to Solaris 6.

A couple of questions.  After installing the Solaris system and the
Tadpole packages from their FTP site, will Pause-O still save the system
in the quick save mode like it does in 2.51?  I understand that the
method Solaris 2.6 uses is different than 2.51, and that additional save
partition is no longer needed.  I just wonder if the command is the
same.

Also, the Sparcbook manual mentions the file /etc/defaultrouter as being
the file where I should list my gateway IP address.  I use this
currently and it works fine.  Being new to Solaris -- is this a standard
Solaris file, or some kind of extension that Tadpole uses?  When I do
the upgrades to 2.6, will I still list my gateway here?

If anyone has any tips about going through this procedure, I'd love to
hear them.  I'm scouring the FAQ and the maillist archives, but I'm
still worried...

Thanks,
Paul Phillips