[SPARCbook] on the road

Paul Phillips paul at partitura.com
Mon Nov 15 19:17:26 CST 1999

A couple of tips that I found by experimentation (and a question)

My Sparcbook is usually attached to my LAN via ethernet (the LAN has an
ADSL internet connection).  Over the weekend I took it out on the road,
using ppp to dial into my ISP.

I found that I had to edit /etc/resolv.conf to list the nameserver of my
ISP, as if couldn't find the nameserver sitting on my LAN.

The other one stumped me for awhile until I figured it out.  I could
connect to every web page I wanted except my own - the one sitting on my
server on my LAN.  Then I realized - that server was listed in
/etc/hosts, and the machine was trying to connect to it via the LAN
connection rather than through the ppp link.  I've still got to test
this, but I think that removing my server name from /etc/hosts will fix
this.

Now my question.  Before disconnecting from my LAN I did a full system
shutdown.  When I brought it back up in my hotel, it took a LONG time to
start Open Windows. Like 2 -3 minutes.  Open Windows is obviously
looking for something it can't find.  CDE, however, starts up just as
quickly as normal.  Any ideas why this happens?

Thanks,
Paul Phillips