[SPARCbook] Resurrecting sparcbook 2 ... how?

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Mon Nov 15 11:56:37 CST 1999

> Bing :)
>
> Yes, it can be net installed, but the unit will need to have a working
> hard disk.

I think the hd is working, it seems to boot up to looking for the kernel.
I dunno whether or not the kernel or root has been nuked.

> If you need more information on this, let me know.
>
> However, in this case, I suspect that SPARCbook OS is already installed
> and you just have a problem with a flat NVRAM battery.  Do this...
>
> Boot operating system or file
> Boot alterate file
> Boot from hard disk
> > 3 1 vmunix
>
> If it's not there, try...
>
> > 0 1 vmunix
>
> Let me know how you go

OK, I will try that tonight.

I was given a second SparcBook 2, that does not have a battery, but it does
have two internal hard disks.  IT SEEMS to be stuck on booting, in that
it is calling from some maintenance password or response code.  Anyone have
any idea what that is, and if it will require a new nvram chip (I hope not)?
It seems like it senses the second drive was added (friend who gave it to
me said he put the second drive in but could not get it to work).  Possibly
all it needs is setting the nvram correctly?

I did load up an IPX so I could netboot it, if necessary.  What needs to
be loaded off the cdrom onto the IPX to set it up?  I loaded up the
SPARCbook2.OS tree, but I think it also needs the bundled tree, but am
not sure.

Thanks

Bob