[SPARCbook] re: linux on GX

whofmann at yahoo.com whofmann at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 01:20:38 CST 1999

> > 3) because it's kind of cool (yeah, the dork-factor)
>
> I'm sorry, I just don't get it.
>
> It's cool to show up somewhere with a cool sun laptop...
> and when people swoon, you triumphantly proclaim
> how well linux runs on it?
>
> Sorry, sun = solaris (for me).
> peecee = whatever, doesn't seem to really matter.
>
> Am I missing something somewhere?

Well, from what I've seen, Solaris is wonderful on large machines with the
resources and processors to take advantage of it.  Unfortunately, for a
small single-processor machine with 32MB of ram, Solaris tends to be kind
of...well...slow.  On a machine with such limited capability, in my
experience, linux or netbsd performs noticeably better.

Wes Hofmann