[SPARCbook] re: linux on GX

Len Rose len at NETSYS.COM
Wed Nov 3 21:07:13 CST 1999

Hi Rich!

Excuse me, but I use fast sparc machines all the time, and the 3GX is
dog slow. I still use it a great deal but I'm a realist. I'm not going to debate
anything else you've said with the above exception because I don't want this to
turn into some holy war. I honestly wanted to know what others felt about not
using Solaris on such a slow machine when there are so much faster laptops
around. Maybe I'm a minority but I didn't buy the Tadpoles because they were
cheap. I bought them because I needed a portable solaris/sparc platform. Also,
I don't consider laptop I/O performance a factor, I don't do I/O intensive
applications on laptops anyway because of the almost universally inferior drive
performance on any laptop. Also mentioning the SBUS isn't appropriate here
since there is no SBUS in my Tadpole..oops, I said I wouldn't debate anything
else.. On that note, thanks.

len at netsys.com
http://www.netsys.com