Compiling (was RE: [SPARCbook] re: linux on GX)

whofmann at yahoo.com whofmann at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 01:42:43 CST 1999

> Excuse me, but I use fast sparc machines all the time, and the 3GX is
> dog slow.

I'll agree with that.  At work, my workstation is an Ultra10/Creator3D.
What I've found to be very nice is using the following value for CFLAGS,
"-O2 -msupersparc" when compiling software on my Ultra running Solaris 2.6.
I can then just copy the binaries in /usr/local over to my sparcbook (also
running solaris 2.6).  Needless to say, the ultra compiles MUCH more quickly
than my sparcbook.  The quesiton is, since they have two different
processors, WHY are they binary compatible?  What compiler flags SHOULD I be
using on the ultra?  On the sparcbook?  Is there a problem with what I've
been doing?  Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Wes Hofmann