[rescue] Looking for copy of "Sunmos" or "OSF/1 AD"

Barry Keeney barryk at chaoscon.com
Sun Oct 16 22:23:02 CDT 2016

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Richard <ejb at trick-1.net>
> "
> " Hi Folks
> "
> " I already know this is a very very very long shot but here goes.
> "
> " Background: I have a single Intel Paragon board, SCSI/Network/Serial
> " Console all in one, so its a bit more than a node or standard service
> " board. I am looking to power up standalone and hopefully get a monitor
> " rom prompt of some sort out of the serial port. The available hardware
> " suggests and reading suggests this is a reasonable expectation.
> "
> " I have also found information (yet to power up and confirm with tcpdump)
> " that indicates that this board will TFTP boot if politely asked to do
> " so.
> "
> " The objective is to boot  the boad via TFTP. femtoParagon anyone ;-)
> "
> " What I am looking for is a copy of "Sunmos" to see if indeed I can
> " tftpboot the light weight kernel onto a standalone board....OK so OSF/1
> " AD would do also (hence the subject) but everything I have read suggests
> " that this would be overkill..
> "
> " before I started the project (or obtained the board) is looks like
> " Sunmos used to be available at
> "
> " ftp://ftp.cs.sandia.gov/pub/sunmos/
> "
> " however link death as stolen that form me.....
>
> ftp sites are vanishing due i think to basic insecurity.
>
> " If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> how about
>
> http://www.thefullwiki.org/SUNMOS
>
> http://dbpedia.org/page/SUNMOS
>
> and
>
> http://www.netlib.org/utk/misc/sw_survey/urc/html/75.1.html
>
> which lists
>
> contact
>    Stephen R. Wheat / srwheat at cs.sandia.gov

    Wow, Sandia, my old stomping ground when I worked on the ASCI-Red
super computer.

    I read the links above and it reminded me so much of Red.

    I don't remember ever meeting Stephen Wheat but I'm not good
with names.

    If I get the chance I'll see if some of my old co-workers
know anything, if they're still around, no promises...

Barry Keeney
Chaos Consulting
email barryk at chaoscon.com

"Atheist: A person who doesn't need imaginary friends"

"Rap is Square Dancing gone terribly, terribly Wrong...."

"MicroSoft Windows - Running our defences until they all bluescreen during the Cylon attack..."