[rescue] Dome Imaging MD2SUN2

Mark Brown sunrescue1 at marknmel.com
Thu Mar 3 18:35:46 CST 2016

On 16-03-03 02:41 PM, CLIFFORD HAIGHT wrote:
> Interesting, do you happen to know if they need a special driver or do they
> work with the existing mda fb?  If the second port is port is infact S-VHS out
> I would imagine it would need a special driver to use.   I like the idea of
> having a monochrome composite monitor for text/shell space then having a
> standard a graphical output on another screen.b    Running console only has
> more appeal to with SunOS 4 as OpenWindows isn't very stable.

I think it was a special driver (and if I had to, I could probably find
a driver of unknown pedigree or heritage...), but I'm afraid I don't
know much about those boards. If I understand well, there was some
specific needs of cards only fitting with specific monitors. I realize
thats kinda vague, but I never actually used that setup. The displays
were very high lumen with very low flicker. Radiologists mostly sit in
low light reading studies. Now that I think more about it, I think we
had DOME monitors for those cards and not Barco.  I suspect with the
correct frequency/resolution/sync you could make these cards work, but I
think they were 10 bit greyscale.

By the time I started $WORK in Q3/2001 the desktop client/radiologist
client was Windows on the desktop.  Most of these cards were hold overs
in old Sparcs or in storage as spares. I've encountered dozens and
dozens of them.

I'm also unaware of the DIN like port and how that was used.  I think
that I was told once that was for some 3-D stuff - ie shutters on
goggles, but that may be some mis-information.  The other thing it could
have been for is display calibration as before you can read diagnostic
images from a screen - the display must be calibrated. (This is more
likely) Nowadays this happens inband over monitor display cables or
internally on the monitor.

/M