[rescue] Dome Imaging MD2SUN2

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Thu Mar 3 16:25:55 CST 2016

Interesting you bring window managers up.

I got started using Sun products during my time in the Air Force as we were
migrating away from ATT Unix products, i.e. mostly 3b2 items, starting out for
me with Solaris 2.3 and Solaris 2.4 boxes.

At this time I got involved with deploying a commercial based security product
across, at least all the bases in AETC.  I can't remember the name of the
security product for the life of me, but is was essentially a mid-1990's version
of Snort.

The (whole) package shipped out consisted of a Sparc Station 5 with lots of RAM,
running SunOS 4.x.x, said security package and a X11 GUI interface used to
produce reports.  These (SunOS) boxes all ran OpenWindows.

Just due to luck of the draw, etc, almost all my Unix administration experiences
have been Sys V based, aside from an ISP experience where we ran BSDI everywhere.

Aside from me just puttering around, that security package was my sole work
related exposure to SunOS.

Jerry