[rescue] New SPARCStation 10 owner, needs help with some issues though.

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Thu Feb 4 12:35:05 CST 2016

Hi Romain

On 4 Feb 2016, at 18:14, Romain Dolbeau <romain at dolbeau.org> wrote:

>> In December I picked up at SPARCstation 10 for $5 plus shipping as an
> impulse
>> purchase.
>
> Darn your lucky. Can't find one for love nor money :-( [well, reasonable
> money,
> that is].

I will put one aside for you (I have a few spare)....... sadly no spare disks
and you will need to source a new NVRAM, but that is the easy bit.

>> It didn't have a hard drive and the NVRAM had gone bad.   Since I have
>> upgraded the SM41 to SM61, replaced the NVram, put in a 1gb had disk with
>> SunOS 4.1.4 and added a 64mb of ram...
>
> For the disk, if you have reliability/space issue, I am very happy with my
> SCSI2SD
> in an IPX. A bit expensive, but quite convenient. The SS10 also is 50-pins
> SCSI IIRC,
> so it would work in there as well I think (but not in a SS20 with the SCA
> connectors).
>
>> 3) I am having a hardware issue with the onboard NIC.    On the hub I
> show a
>> connection but on the sparcstation OBP shows no connection.   Any ideas on
>> troubleshooting/repairing?
>
> Worst case scenario, you can still try to find a SBus NIC... hme-based one
> are quite nice, since 10 Mb ethernet is quite slow these days. 100 Mb can
> be twice as fast ;-)

I have a big pile of old SBus cards, mainly SCSI, but there are some ethernet
and of them some are 100BaseT ones as well as the SCSI/Ethernet ones

>> I also have some very old patch CDs from the 90s if I remember correctly,
>> will have a hunt and see if any are for 4.1.4.
>
> Please don't hesitate to share if you can find one, since unlike Solaris it
> seems
> the SunOS 4 stuff is not available anymore. Thanks :-)

I will have a look what I have and then we can decide if we can have it hosted
somewhere maybe?

Peter