[rescue] New SPARCStation 10 owner, needs help with some issues though.

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Thu Feb 4 12:14:48 CST 2016

> In December I picked up at SPARCstation 10 for $5 plus shipping as an
impulse
> purchase.

Darn your lucky. Can't find one for love nor money :-( [well, reasonable
money,
that is].

> It didn't have a hard drive and the NVRAM had gone bad.   Since I have
> upgraded the SM41 to SM61, replaced the NVram, put in a 1gb had disk with
> SunOS 4.1.4 and added a 64mb of ram...

For the disk, if you have reliability/space issue, I am very happy with my
SCSI2SD
in an IPX. A bit expensive, but quite convenient. The SS10 also is 50-pins
SCSI IIRC,
so it would work in there as well I think (but not in a SS20 with the SCA
connectors).

> 3) I am having a hardware issue with the onboard NIC.    On the hub I
show a
> connection but on the sparcstation OBP shows no connection.   Any ideas on
> troubleshooting/repairing?

Worst case scenario, you can still try to find a SBus NIC... hme-based one
are quite nice, since 10 Mb ethernet is quite slow these days. 100 Mb can
be twice as fast ;-)

> I also have some very old patch CDs from the 90s if I remember correctly,
> will have a hunt and see if any are for 4.1.4.

Please don't hesitate to share if you can find one, since unlike Solaris it
seems
the SunOS 4 stuff is not available anymore. Thanks :-)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau