[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Dec 6 10:54:31 CST 2016

On 2016-12-06 11:00 AM, Scott Quinn wrote:
> Liam opined:
>
>> Actually, TBH, and to go vaguely on-topic (as OpenStep ran on SUN), I
>> still think NeXTstep is about *the* best-looking GUI OS there's ever
>> been.
>
> Yeah, NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP are pretty good. Clean looking UI and not too much fluff.
>
> Another one I like is IndigoMagic. Lotsa griping(from others, no way I could afford a IRIS at 12 years old)
> when it came out, slow on base machines
> with the initial release's bugs, and there are a few things that needed to be learned that weren't obvious
> (such as drop pockets), but once you learned them it was a nice-to-use UI. SGI didn't change
> too much gratuitously, either.
>
> It's odd, now I'm kind of mourning the end of Solaris (though I haven't used 11 yet - no SPARCs new enough
> and not enough spare cash), but it had some neat features. When SU moved to it back in '97-ish I was cursing it out
> because I liked SunOS.

As we all know, the first few iterations of Solaris were nasty, so
that's a justifiable position imho :) (also, I enjoyed SunOS 4 greatly).

It hit its stride by Solaris 7, I guess, and definitely became
'missable' before Oracle entered the picture (and then became 'doomed').

--Toby

 > How things change. Perhaps in 15 years I'll be waxing rhapsodic about
Unity - but I doubt it.