[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 10:00:42 CST 2016

Liam opined:

>Actually, TBH, and to go vaguely on-topic (as OpenStep ran on SUN), I
>still think NeXTstep is about *the* best-looking GUI OS there's ever
>been.

Yeah, NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP are pretty good. Clean looking UI and not too much fluff.

Another one I like is IndigoMagic. Lotsa griping(from others, no way I could afford a IRIS at 12 years old)
when it came out, slow on base machines
with the initial release's bugs, and there are a few things that needed to be learned that weren't obvious
(such as drop pockets), but once you learned them it was a nice-to-use UI. SGI didn't change
too much gratuitously, either.

It's odd, now I'm kind of mourning the end of Solaris (though I haven't used 11 yet - no SPARCs new enough
and not enough spare cash), but it had some neat features. When SU moved to it back in '97-ish I was cursing it out
because I liked SunOS. How things change. Perhaps in 15 years I'll be waxing rhapsodic about Unity - but I doubt it.