[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 03:43:21 CST 2016

On 5 December 2016 at 16:34, John Hudak <jjhudak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I use OSX (not as a daily driver, but for some of my video editing
> work), and I never got the faintest impression that it was OSX-ish.

What?!

If you just place the OS X Dock on the left hand side of the screen,
as I always do, it is virtually identical to Unity!

[1] Dock = Launcher == Combined app launcher/window manager.
* Icons always present; an indicator shows if they're running.
Reorderable, can be added/removed. Right click for locking & other
options.
* New filer window icon at the top
* Apps beneath that
* Documents, downloads etc. at the bottom
* Last icon == trash can

[2]  Window controls in same position.

[3] Global menu bar at the top. App name first,  then the app menus.
Widgets etc. at the right hand end.

[4] Combined system menu thing with About, Updates, System prefs --
same functions, but at right not left.

They are as close as Cinnamon is to Windows Vista/7. It is basically
outright plagiarism.

> From a
> usability standpoint, in Unity desk top, I could never find anything...I
> found myself at the CL more than I thought I would.

I find that very strange. Examples?

> Efficient? - granted I was running on a platform that was lacking (at the
> time) reasonable HW resources, but I found when I upgraded to it, the
> system did more thrashing.....been a while so I am a little unclear as to
> what exactly it did.

I started using it on a Pentium M with 1GB RAM and no hardware OpenGL.
That wasn't good. But on a 2GB system with hardware 3D, it's OK. With
3-4GB or more, it flies. Any decent PC newer than about 2007-2008
should be fine. I don't own any PCs newer than that and my Mac is from
2011. Unity feels quicker than native OS X on the Mac.

> Suffice to say, was not my favorite.

Yes, I think we got that!

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven b" Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 b" DR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053