[rescue] [geeks] Solaris being discontinued? Rumors flying

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Dec 6 04:12:35 CST 2016

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 10:43:21 +0100, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
> > From a
> > usability standpoint, in Unity desk top, I could never find anything...I
> > found myself at the CL more than I thought I would.
>
> I find that very strange. Examples?

A lot of the settings are hidden in tweak tools.

Speaking purely for myself, I find some of the Unity defaults
tiresome  - side-pinned dock, unified menu bar and unnecessary search
results (adverts/wikipedia pages) when I'm searching for an app. The
defaults could be more 'sane'.

> I started using it on a Pentium M with 1GB RAM and no hardware OpenGL.
> That wasn't good. But on a 2GB system with hardware 3D, it's OK. With
> 3-4GB or more, it flies. Any decent PC newer than about 2007-2008
> should be fine. I don't own any PCs newer than that and my Mac is from
> 2011. Unity feels quicker than native OS X on the Mac.

Even with my comments above, I somehow still have Unity as my default
desktop on an Ubuntu box at home (the ones my kids use). Even though
'should be fine' is put in there, it really isn't all that fine on my
2012 era machine with 4GB RAM and Nvidia graphics and no SSD. I can
only assume then that it is an assumption that it should be fine on
older hardware? I'm actually thinking about upgrading or replacing
this machine.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--