[rescue] Replacement NVRAM/clock for IPX, success + question

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Thu Sep 24 19:14:20 CDT 2015

> Not sure if relevant, but from memory I thought the system serial number
> on the case related to the hostid (and hence ethernet)  in some way on
> these older systems?

    Have you looked at the sun-nvram-hostid FAQ?

http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html

    In the sun4 section:

"The NVRAM chip will usually have a white or yellow barcode label on it
(except for sun4d). Given the barcode, Sun can reconstruct your original
hostid and ethernet address. On newer machines (some SS5, SS20, all
Ultras) the number printed on the barcode is the last three bytes of the
ethernet address and also the last three bytes of the hostid. The first
three bytes of the ethernet address are always 8:0:20 and the first byte
of the hostid is determined by the system type (see table below), so on
these machines you can trivially reconstruct the hostid. I have no idea
how to do it on the machines with the old style barcode label, but if
nothing else, the label makes the NVRAM chip easy to identify."

    Is that what you were thinking of?

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us