[rescue] Replacement NVRAM/clock for IPX, success + question

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Fri Sep 25 01:30:29 CDT 2015

Hi Mike

I am aware that they started putting the last three pairs of numbers of the
hostid on the NVRAM eventually, it is those which do not have this that we are
discussing. As I said my memory on the visit is almost non existent, so the
exact machine type (SS5) could easily be incorrect.

Peter

On 25 Sep 2015, at 01:14, Mike Loewen <mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us> wrote:

>> Not sure if relevant, but from memory I thought the system serial number on
the case related to the hostid (and hence ethernet)  in some way on these
older systems?

>   Have you looked at the sun-nvram-hostid FAQ?
>
> http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
>
>   In the sun4 section:
>
> "The NVRAM chip will usually have a white or yellow barcode label on it
(except for sun4d). Given the barcode, Sun can reconstruct your original
hostid and ethernet address. On newer machines (some SS5, SS20, all Ultras)
the number printed on the barcode is the last three bytes of the ethernet
address and also the last three bytes of the hostid. The first three bytes of
the ethernet address are always 8:0:20 and the first byte of the hostid is
determined by the system type (see table below), so on these machines you can
trivially reconstruct the hostid. I have no idea how to do it on the machines
with the old style barcode label, but if nothing else, the label makes the
NVRAM chip easy to identify."