[rescue] Solaris licensing

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Sep 4 09:52:57 CDT 2014

On 09/04/14 10:46, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
> On 08/31/14 17:07, John Carr wrote:
>> Honestly, Oracle has made having Sun boxes not-fun since I can't get a hobbyist license or
>> patches for Solaris. I think that for now, I'll pass.
> Are you sure?  I'm looking at this link (which Google provided, so I'm
> not 100% sure that it applies to S10 and /or S11):
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html
>
> which says
>
>     /*LICENSE RIGHTS */
>     /Except for any included software package or file that is licensed
>     to you by Oracle under different license terms, we grant you a
>     perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement),
>     nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs
>     only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and
>     demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose. If
>     You are an educational institution vested with the power to confer
>     official high school, associate, bachelor, master and/or doctorate
>     degrees, or local equivalent, ("Degree(s)"), You may also use the
>     Programs as part of Your educational curriculum for students
>     enrolled in Your Degree program(s) solely as required for the
>     conferral of such Degree (collectively "Educational Use")./
>
> ...which says that "/developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating
> your applications/" is fine with them.  Forever ("/perpetual/").  It's
> also pretty reasonable for use by educational institutions.

Which seems to me to say you can use it for development/testing/demo, or
for education if you're an accredited educational estalishment, but
makes no mention whatsoever of general hobbyist use.

I'm really not certain whether Oracle is actively trying to kill off
Solaris, or simply doesn't realize that that's what they're doing.  Or
that if they manage to kill off Solaris as an OS, nobody is going to buy
their hardware to run it on.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications