[rescue] Solaris licensing (was:Basement Cleaning)

Andrew Gaylard ag at computer.org
Thu Sep 4 09:46:45 CDT 2014

On 08/31/14 17:07, John Carr wrote:
> Honestly, Oracle has made having Sun boxes not-fun since I can't get a hobbyist license or
> patches for Solaris. I think that for now, I'll pass.
Are you sure?  I'm looking at this link (which Google provided, so I'm
not 100% sure that it applies to S10 and /or S11):

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html

which says

    /*LICENSE RIGHTS */
    /Except for any included software package or file that is licensed
    to you by Oracle under different license terms, we grant you a
    perpetual (unless terminated as provided in this agreement),
    nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited License to use the Programs
    only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and
    demonstrating your applications, and not for any other purpose. If
    You are an educational institution vested with the power to confer
    official high school, associate, bachelor, master and/or doctorate
    degrees, or local equivalent, ("Degree(s)"), You may also use the
    Programs as part of Your educational curriculum for students
    enrolled in Your Degree program(s) solely as required for the
    conferral of such Degree (collectively "Educational Use")./

...which says that "/developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating
your applications/" is fine with them.  Forever ("/perpetual/").  It's
also pretty reasonable for use by educational institutions.

Of course, IANAL. And it doesn't explicitly permit email, web browsing,
listening to music files, or using OpenOffice, all of which are the kind
of things that we hobbyists do.  But it also doesn't explicitly permit
using bash, xterm, emacs, vim, or ssh either, without which nothing can
be done anyway.

Am I on shaky ground? Should I wipe Solaris off my SPARC box, and go
with Linux (or *BSD)?

--
Andrew Gaylard