[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Mar 11 14:16:03 CDT 2014

> If Windows were properly engineered there would be nothing for virus
> writers to do.

For what value of "properly"?  Windows is doing what it's designed to
do - concentrate money in Microsoft's hands - very very well indeed.  I
think it's actually awesomely well engineered - to serve that goal.

> Windows is a disgrace,

Only because you're looking at it from the point of view of providing
decent software for its nominal users being its primary goal.

> and not because it's closed source.

No, not because it's closed source.  I believe it's closed source
partly from inertia and partly because Microsoft believes they can get
("make") more money that way.  (I'm not saying they're wrong, just that
their belief is more explanatory than whatever the reality is.  I
suspect they may well be right.)

> No, I'm saying there's an awful lot of incentive for people to be
> incompetent when they make magnitudes more money from being
> incompetent than being competent.

And people wonder why I'm depressed by the state of today's computer
world.  Today's world, actually. :-(

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org