[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu Feb 27 07:18:57 CST 2014

On 02/27/14 07:49, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:23:54AM -0500, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>>    On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>>
>>> Bottom line, for goodness per rack unit, you can't be a V210.
>>
>>    How about goodness per watt, per BTU, or per dB?
>
> I was thinking only about compute power and memory density for a Sun SPARC
> server. The other stuff doesn't come high on my list since my office is hot
> and loud, I would hardly notice. I have 3 V210s next to my desk and 2 V440s
> under it. They don't run all at the same time, for obvious reasons ;-)

I'll freely admit I had fun with my V210s right up until their first
winter, which was when I discovered that four to five months out of the
year, I can't keep them running overnight in my minimally insulated
deckhouse because their internal temperature drops below 5C.

On the other hand, I completely love my X2200M2, and the only thing I'd
love more would be to get my hands on a second one as a spare.  It makes
an excellent application/compute server.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net