[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Feb 27 06:49:25 CST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:23:54AM -0500, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>
> >Bottom line, for goodness per rack unit, you can't be a V210.
>
>    How about goodness per watt, per BTU, or per dB?

I was thinking only about compute power and memory density for a Sun SPARC
server. The other stuff doesn't come high on my list since my office is hot
and loud, I would hardly notice. I have 3 V210s next to my desk and 2 V440s
under it. They don't run all at the same time, for obvious reasons ;-)

It's kind of like that scene in the Blues Brothers where Jake comes home to
Elwood's apartment next to the train tracks and a train comes by and shakes
the apartment until everything breaks and falls down and there's so much
dust in the air they can barely see each other.

So if I remember correctly, Jake turns to Elwood and asks "How often does
that happen?" And Elwood says "So often you won't even notice it."

>    I'm rather partial to my T1 105s, and can live happily with one
> or two running in my study; another runs a good-sized ZFS array
> downstairs.  My SPARCstation-2 is louder than my upstairs 105 at
> the moment thanks to a loud disk drive.

Yes, I've heard good things about the Netras. I'd like to have a couple
myself. That said, the V210s are the smallest of the 240/440/880 etc. but
they have up to two 1.5G CPUs which is as fast as the IIIi gets. So while
the Netras are good for dedicated stuff like firewalls and servers, the V210
makes a great development box. All depends what you want to do with it!
But given the OP already has a 240, I don't think he will want to trade it
in for a T1. As Peter said he would probably be better off with a Sun Blade
if noise is a main concern.