[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 27 03:17:00 CST 2014

On February 27, 2014 3:43:52 AM EST, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:20:34AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>> Personally, I think the V240s are much nicer.  All the power of a
>V210,
>but without as much noise.
>
>Well yeah, all the power as a 210 at twice the size and more power
>consumption. You do get 2 more drive bays and an extra PSU but is it
>really
>worth another rack unit just for that?

Does the 240 use more power if you don't use the extra PSU, HD bays, or PCI slots?  I suspect that equal configs would use equal power.

And the extra U is worth it if it is going to run in my basement. It was hard to talk over the noise of the 210 when sitting a floor above it.

I had planned to make use of the extra PCI slots,  but when I couldn't get the PCI-X hba, external arrays and disks to function reliably enough to bother with the plan to also add another nic.

>Kicking it up a notch a V440 gives you the extra PSU and the 2 extra
>drive
>bays over the V210, *and* 2 more CPUs. So that's an upgrade worth
>having.
>For me the V240 is neither fish nor fowl.

Hmm, I haven't tried pricing that machine. I might have to consider an upgrade.