[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Thu Feb 27 03:33:07 CST 2014

On the V240 question, it should not really use more power per same config,
just down to losses in PSU, the 240 does have larger fans and you are right in
that the V210 has very small higher pitch fans. All depends on your
environment I guess. For home use i would go for the Blade 2500, Red or Silver
which are much better noise wise and have same CPUs, mem config and two disk
slots as 210. 440 is different animal albeit with the same CPU chips, but can
have twice the mem capacity as has 16 slots in 4 CPU config.

Adding arrays to these systems is usually successful and cheap, so curious
what config you had an issue with?

Peter

On 27 Feb 2014, at 09:17, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On February 27, 2014 3:43:52 AM EST, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 03:20:34AM -0500, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>> Personally, I think the V240s are much nicer.  All the power of a
>> V210,
>> but without as much noise.
>>
>> Well yeah, all the power as a 210 at twice the size and more power
>> consumption. You do get 2 more drive bays and an extra PSU but is it
>> really
>> worth another rack unit just for that?
>
> Does the 240 use more power if you don't use the extra PSU, HD bays, or PCI
slots?  I suspect that equal configs would use equal power.

> And the extra U is worth it if it is going to run in my basement. It was
hard to talk over the noise of the 210 when sitting a floor above it.

> I had planned to make use of the extra PCI slots,  but when I couldn't get
the PCI-X hba, external arrays and disks to function reliably enough to bother
with the plan to also add another nic.