[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

mc68010 mc68010 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 12:15:32 CST 2013

On 2/26/2013 1:02 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:40:03AM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
>> Thanks. I'm mainly looking to test the boards first... I've found the
>> power supplies for ~$30 but if I can validate power and basic
>> functionality with a standard ATX power supply, that would save me a
>> few days.
> I paid 90 bucks each for my V210 PSUs so you have a bargain there.

I am all for hacking hardware but, I just thought I'd mention you can
get a dual 1.5ghz V245 with disks and 8gb of ram for under $125 shipped
on ebay any day now. A T1000 or T2000 for about the same if you go for
it in an auction.  I've seen T2000 go for $89 + shipping. Most go for
more though. It may not be worth spending a lot of effort and money on
v210 motherboards. By the time you put together all the parts you will
have spent more than a whole newer and faster machine.

The seller of this auction keeps listing 8 at a time and never seems to
run out. I bought one and it was perfect. The packing was over the top.
I have no connection just a happy camper. This one is only $99 shipped
but, has no ram. Ram is easy to find though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUN-SUNFIRE-V245-Server-2x-1-5GHZ-CPU-No-RAM-2x-73GB-Hard-Drive-2x-PS-/281068438100