[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Feb 26 03:34:07 CST 2013

> Well, the CPUs have dual fan +  heatsink on each... are those not
>  sufficient?

I would guess not. The bulkhead fans run about 17K RPM and blast everything
behind them with fresh air from the intake. The front CPU fan blows on the
rear fan. It looks to me it needs a lot of airflow. The PSU also cools the
case somewhat with its two fans.

> Luckily my shop is generally chilly (I've had the heat panel on about
> 15 minutes in the past year, just to make sure it worked) but I
> would've figured the fans on each cpu would take care of a fair bit of
> the cpu heat.

Looks to me a lot of engineering went into getting air into and out of the
case. I don't think it can cool sufficiently without a case, or with the
case open, but OBP will probably shut down before anything bad happens.