[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 11 09:04:52 CDT 2013

Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

>We're up!
>
>The DVD drive arrived last night ($20 off eBay, shipped), slid it in
>this
>morning, ran through a very, very lengthy POST sequence, and entered
>'boot
>cdrom' - to which the system responded with the twirling icon!
>
>I ran through the install (a temp install, intended only to confirm
>system
>functions/boots normally) and have a few questions:
>
>How do I:
>
>- configure mirrored boot drive? Data drive? Is it something to do when
>select the drives to install on? (I've been in Windows-land so long I
>forgot how, if I ever actually knew!)

Install non-mirrored, then use the zpool command to attach the second disk as a mirror.  You also have to tell OBP to fall back to booting from the second HD.  It has been awhile since I've last done this, but I believe that is all there was to it.

> - configure naming services in a home setting? I selected "No Naming
>Services" this time around, but when I ran through the configuring
>"DNS"
>naming service I had to specify a domain, which I don't have.

If you have home DNS , then you could just make a home domain.

> - How does one access any security patches? I am installing the latest
>Solaris 10 ISO from Oracle, I assume it is up-to-date as of the date
>they
>released it (Jan/Feb 2013, IIRC) - that should be reasonably
>secure/stable,
>right? (I don't plan on running this on the Internet, so I only need to
>be
>so concerned about security.

Service contract is the only official way.

>- Sun used to offer a "Solaris Freeware" ISO full of shareware that was
>easily installed, is that just long-gone? How do folks access
>shareware/open software? Which repositories? What is the install
>process -
>is it typically just download, unzip, run a shell script?

Look for the opencsw project. That seems to be the modern place to turn.