[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 08:57:03 CDT 2013

We're up!

The DVD drive arrived last night ($20 off eBay, shipped), slid it in this
morning, ran through a very, very lengthy POST sequence, and entered 'boot
cdrom' - to which the system responded with the twirling icon!

I ran through the install (a temp install, intended only to confirm system
functions/boots normally) and have a few questions:

How do I:

 - configure mirrored boot drive? Data drive? Is it something to do when I
select the drives to install on? (I've been in Windows-land so long I
forgot how, if I ever actually knew!)

 - configure naming services in a home setting? I selected "No Naming
Services" this time around, but when I ran through the configuring "DNS"
naming service I had to specify a domain, which I don't have.

 - How does one access any security patches? I am installing the latest
Solaris 10 ISO from Oracle, I assume it is up-to-date as of the date they
released it (Jan/Feb 2013, IIRC) - that should be reasonably secure/stable,
right? (I don't plan on running this on the Internet, so I only need to be
so concerned about security.

 - Sun used to offer a "Solaris Freeware" ISO full of shareware that was
easily installed, is that just long-gone? How do folks access
shareware/open software? Which repositories? What is the install process -
is it typically just download, unzip, run a shell script?

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions, but those should suffice for now...

Thanks in advance - apologies for asking questions 'on topic'... ;^)

Lionel