[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 17:29:40 CDT 2013

Found a laptop-style DVD drive, slid it into the slot, connector lined up,
powered up the server, and was very happy when the open button worked and
the tray slid out!

Then I got totally dejected when 'probe-ide' didn't show the drive, and
'boot cdrom' failed to open the device.

I don't know the history of this drive, it was a pull I got years ago, I
assume it works. I will try again in a few days (weekend) with a different
IDE DVD drive (pulled from a more recent Dell desktop that is no longer
reliable.

I suppose a proper Sun/Oracle DVD drive could be secured, but I'm gonna try
a few others first.

Any idea what should or has worked before?

(the cabling in the chassis appears to support simply sliding in the drive,
I assume the cabling is all there inside the server, not just power, right?)

Lionel