[rescue] Hardware up FT/FS

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu May 19 10:20:30 CDT 2011

On 05/19/11 10:07, Cody Swanson wrote:
> I got my wife a used MDD mac 4 years ago that didn't have this done to
> it. I just went down to the local computer shop and bought a couple of
> quieter fans and soldered them in to the existing PSU. They had less
> airflow but it didn't seem to make a difference. It ran fine for the 3
> years she used it until I gave her a macbook and sold the MDD. I assume
> it still works like a champ.

I think the Windtunnel is one of those machines that was fast for its
time (at least as Macs go), but has LONG since been surpassed so greatly
with less power consumption that it doesn't really make sense to run one
any more unless you specifically want to run a PowerPC Mac.  And even
then, it takes 30 seconds on Google to find a dual G5 for about $250, so
there's little practical reason to run a G4 instead of a far more
powerful G5.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.