[rescue] Hardware up FT/FS

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu May 19 10:19:40 CDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:20:30AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 05/19/11 10:07, Cody Swanson wrote:
> > I got my wife a used MDD mac 4 years ago that didn't have this done to
> > it. I just went down to the local computer shop and bought a couple of
> > quieter fans and soldered them in to the existing PSU. They had less
> > airflow but it didn't seem to make a difference. It ran fine for the 3
> > years she used it until I gave her a macbook and sold the MDD. I assume
> > it still works like a champ.
>
> I think the Windtunnel is one of those machines that was fast for its
> time (at least as Macs go), but has LONG since been surpassed so greatly
> with less power consumption that it doesn't really make sense to run one
> any more unless you specifically want to run a PowerPC Mac.  And even
> then, it takes 30 seconds on Google to find a dual G5 for about $250, so
> there's little practical reason to run a G4 instead of a far more
> powerful G5.

Reason to run a MDD:  You have it already, and if you are going to spend
money, you would prefer to hold out for an Intel machine, but you don't
have the money, so you do nothing.

My MDD was given to me.  However, in retrospect, I may have been better
off sticking with the DA machine that the MDD replaced.  The MDD is a
lot faster, but mostly it is just used as a print server and the DA did
that as well and a lot quieter.

What I would like is a G5 Xserve, and maybe a G4 mini as well.  I'm not
currently planning to spend any real money on those wants though, until
I finally manage to get a more modern x86 Mac.