[rescue] Thin Client for garage

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Fri Apr 15 12:53:42 CDT 2011

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011, Marty Scholes wrote:

> Robert Darlington <rdarlington <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It was easy, took maybe 15 minutes.   I run it on a SunFire V100 running
>> Solaris 10.
>
> Yet another +1 for Sun Rays.
>
> I have five workstations in my house, two of which are triple-head.
>
> In fact, I'm posting from a triple-head station in my home office.
>
> Server runs Opensolaris build 128a.  Getting SRSS to work can be
> daunting, but once the bruises heal a little, it's not so bad.
>
> We also run VirtualBox, so any family member can have access to any
> flavor of Windows/Linux that they feel like.  One of my sons has about
> half a dozen installs of Windows: one for school, one for personal use,
> one that's XP, one that's 7, one to install untested software to and not
> cry if the OS image is compromised, etc.
>
> Anyone in the family can walk away from a session and pick it back up
> anywhere in the house.  No one fights over "the computer."

I've deployed HP thin clients as backup workstations in an office
environment.  My feelings on them is mixed.  Sun Rays sound much more
interesting.  A few things have me hesitating.  Last time I checked, the
server-side software didn't work with Debian and didn't have a 64-bit
version.  Has any of this changed recently?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu