[rescue] Octane won't talk to the outside world...

Caleb Cupples cscupples at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 15:12:20 CST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Scott Quinn <saquinn624 at aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:05:50 -0600, Caleb Cupples <cscupples at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, trying to be lazy and use DHCP doesn't seem to be
>
>> working this morning. Instead, I ended up reteaching myself how to use
>
>> vi to edit config files and making mental notes to see about finding
>
>> an IRIX build of nano.
>

> Do you get emacs/xemacs on a default IRIX install, out of curiosity?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan
>

> No, the default IRIX editors are vi (text mode) and (depending on version )
> either jot on IRIX 6.2 and under (a SGI proprietary editor that requires IRIS
> GL to display, always fun) and nedit on 6.5 (not sure about 6.3 or 6.4) Jot
> became a link to nedit so you can use either command (so you don't need to
> have either a SGI graphics system on the other end or an IBM IRISVision). You
> can get nedit for older versions of IRIX, or there is emacs/xemacs in either
> the SGI freeware collection or Nekoware.
>
> Everyone should learn basic vi even if you like something else, as very few
> miniroots come with fancier editors. Miniroot vi has saved me lots of trouble
> several times.

IT LIVES!!!!! (And my apologies for the yelling.)

I ended up setting up a static IP, since, quite fortunately, my nifty
repurposed WRT54G running DD-WRT is nearly invisible to the lovely
ASUS router running Tomato that serves up wireless internets to the
rest of the house. My thanks to Steve for the link, which I did read
before, but promptly ignored because I was still misguided enough to
believe DHCP would be easier.

Scott, I do agree about vi being a very handy tool to have, and I used
to know it a bit better than I do now. However, I learned about nano,
just about the time I started playing with Debian PPC, and I never
thought I'd use it again, until today. I did play with nedit a little,
however, and it makes quick and dirty little edits a breeze.

My thanks, yet again, to Scott, Steve and Chris for getting me pointed
down the right track. Also, Joshua, I would gladly test an IRIX
Twitter client for you.

Now, off to Nekochan, where I will both be amazed at the wonderful
bounty of software before me and filled with fear, because I don't
like the built-in package management system at all, after coming of
age with apt, rpm and IPS.

-CSC

--
C. Scott Cupples