[rescue] Octane won't talk to the outside world...

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 09:42:35 CST 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:05:50 -0600, Caleb Cupples <cscupples at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, trying to be lazy and use DHCP doesn't seem to be

> working this morning. Instead, I ended up reteaching myself how to use

> vi to edit config files and making mental notes to see about finding

> an IRIX build of nano.

Do you get emacs/xemacs on a default IRIX install, out of curiosity?

Cheers,

Jonathan

No, the default IRIX editors are vi (text mode) and (depending on version )
either jot on IRIX 6.2 and under (a SGI proprietary editor that requires IRIS
GL to display, always fun) and nedit on 6.5 (not sure about 6.3 or 6.4) Jot
became a link to nedit so you can use either command (so you don't need to
have either a SGI graphics system on the other end or an IBM IRISVision). You
can get nedit for older versions of IRIX, or there is emacs/xemacs in either
the SGI freeware collection or Nekoware.

Everyone should learn basic vi even if you like something else, as very few
miniroots come with fancier editors. Miniroot vi has saved me lots of trouble
several times.