[rescue] Octane won't talk to the outside world...

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Nov 19 15:43:30 CST 2010

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Caleb Cupples wrote:

> IT LIVES!!!!! (And my apologies for the yelling.)

    No apologies required -- that's "happy news"!

> [...] I was still misguided enough to believe DHCP would be easier.

    I seem to recall that my Octane ("Ethel") worked quite nicely
with DHCP including setting up the default gateway and the DNS
servers.  I can't verify that now, because the system is at my
computer-history concern in Providence, but I somewhat trust my
memory.

> Scott, I do agree about vi being a very handy tool to have, and I used
> to know it a bit better than I do now.

    Knowing the "stone age" tools is useful in many ways, and has
bailled my bacon out of many fires in the past.  Don't scrimp
on your tools.

> Now, off to Nekochan, where I will both be amazed at the wonderful
> bounty of software before me and filled with fear, because I don't
> like the built-in package management system at all, after coming of
> age with apt, rpm and IPS.

    What's wrong with "newprod"?  ;-)