[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Wed May 26 12:16:16 CDT 2010

On May 26, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Richard wrote:

>> [...] local storage and ran a cut-down version of
>> their normal GL2 UNIX.
>
> What's "GL2 UNIX"?

SGI's UNIX release for the m68k IRIS wasn't called IRIX. It didn't
have a name beyond its release number. The 2000-series and 3000-series
UNIX versions were all GL2-something. When the 4D/60 came out, its
UNIX version was 4D1-something.

> However, now I'm of the opinion that historical research
> should just get put on wikipedia, assuming of course that its so
> non-controversial that I won't have to fight reversion wars with its
> editors.
>
> So why not just update the Wikipedia article?

Even when it is "non-controversial", my experience is that they make
it as difficult as possible for "regular people" to contribute. IMO
"making it easy to submit content and then arguing over it" is
effectively much more difficult than if they'd just made the content
submission process difficult up front.

That this is the case while simultaneously having thousands of
articles that are total horseshit leaves an especially bitter taste. I
like the idea, in theory. In practice, it's totally sophomoric and I
am absolutely not interested.

> By "Stanford CPU", I assume you mean the original design for the
> processor boards in the workstations that became known as SUN
> workstations?

Yes. Stanford spun off a company called VLSI Systems to commercialize
the design. I think this conceit didn't last long. My SGI SUN 68k CPU
engineering sample is marked "VLSI Systems".

ok
bear

ok
bear