[rescue] WTB: SGI (MIPS architecture) Systems

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed May 26 09:56:35 CDT 2010

In article <211A0D82-27FF-4964-AE5E-A8A6DC59844C at typewritten.org>,
    "r.stricklin" <bear at typewritten.org>  writes:

> On May 25, 2010, at 1:50 PM, Richard wrote:
>
> > The first generation stuff came in different models.  The low-end
> > models
> > (IRIS 1000) were pure terminals with no local storage or processing.
> > The high-end models (IRIS 2000, 3000) had local storage and
> > processing.
>
> mmm... "low-end models" is a misleading description. [...]

In this instance, I speak only for my own terminology and not as an
authoritative source.

My first hands-on experience was with a Personal Iris in 1988.  Except
for yours :-), I've never seen an IRIS [123]000 in person.

> [...] local storage and ran a cut-down version of
> their normal GL2 UNIX.

What's "GL2 UNIX"?

> Wikipedia is technically correct... more-or-less.

Ya know, there was a time when I was thinking that I would create my
own web site of articles documenting various vintage computing
elements.  However, now I'm of the opinion that historical research
should just get put on wikipedia, assuming of course that its so
non-controversial that I won't have to fight reversion wars with its
editors.

So why not just update the Wikipedia article?

> IRIS 1000/1200 - host-attached terminals; PM1 (8 MHz 68000), Microram
> multibus memory, Excelan EXOS101 ethernet. The processor is very
> clearly a derivation of the Stanford CPU, with some extra EPROMs to
> control the graphics and some circuitry to control the mouse.

By "Stanford CPU", I assume you mean the original design for the
processor boards in the workstations that became known as SUN
workstations?